A Brief History of Honda
Honda Motor Company was founded in 1948 by co-founders Soichiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa. They introduced their first vehicle, a motorcycle, in 1949, the D-type motorcycle. Ten years later, Honda Motor Company Inc. was established in Los Angeles, California, the first overseas subsidiary of Honda Motor Company Ltd. By 1968, the one millionth Honda motorcycle had been sold in the United States. Honda also began producing automobiles in the 1960s; the first automobile produced was the T360 mini pick-up truck, which went on sale in August 1963, which was followed by the S500 sports car, which went on sale in October 1963. The Honda N600 was the first automobile Honda sold in America, starting in 1969.
Honda co-founder Soichiro Honda had always been concerned of the future of our planet, particularly of the abundance of clear water. In regards to making more fuel efficient cars, Honda said, “I don’t care if everyone else is making two strokes, Honda has to make four strokes.” In 1973, Honda introduced the world’s first fuel-efficient four-stroke marine engines, which were cleaner, quieter, and more economical than two-stroke engines. The next year, driven by their “Blue skies for our children” initiative, Honda released the Honda Civic, which contained a groundbreaking CVCC engine that made the Civic the first vehicle to meet the standards of the U.S. Clean Air Act without the use of a catalytic converter. In 1976, the first Honda Accord was released, which would become the best-selling passenger car in America.
Today’s Honda models include:
- Honda Civic: Honda’s compact car is one of the world’s best-selling cars. The Civic was International Car of the Year in 2005 and North American Car of the Year in 2006.
- Honda Fit: The Honda Fit is an entry-level subcompact that boasts a boxy design, spacious interior, and lay-flat rear seats. The Fit was Top Gear’s 2006 Best Small Car, U.S. News & World Report‘s Best Economy Car of 2008, Best Overall Value by Consumer Reports in 2010, 2011, and 2012, and earned many other awards.
- Honda Accord: The Accord is Honda’s midsize family sedan. The Accord has been in Car and Driver’s Top Ten list for the last 31 of 35 years, and has also been recognized as the 2014 Green Car of the Year and the 2018 North American Car of the Year.
- Honda Insight: The Honda Insight is a compact hybrid sedan. The Insight is similar to its sibling, the Civic, in wheelbase and handling, but bests it in fuel efficiency thanks to a two-motor drivetrain. The American Automobile Association awarded the Insight with the Top Commuter Car in 2010. In addition, the Insight was named the Greenest Vehicle of the Year by American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Honda Clarity: The Honda Clarity is Honda’s premium alternative fuel sedan. It is available as a hybrid plug-in, fully electric, or hydrogen fuel cell. In 2009, the Clarity won World Green Car of the Year. BBC Top Gear has called the Clarity the “Most important car for 100 years” and has received the Good Design Award from the Japan Industrial Design Promotion Organization in 2008.
Your Trusted Shop for Honda Repair
As reliable as Honda vehicles are, all vehicles will eventually need to come in for servicing. When the time comes to bring your Honda in for repairs, Conyers residents can come to Auto Tech Service Center. We specialize in Honda repair and can take care of your car, bumper to bumper. A team of highly trained mechanics, we at Auto Tech Service Center are up to date on the latest automotive technology and will deliver high-quality service, every time. We offer services in vehicle alignment, steering and suspension, transmission repair, and more. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us today! You can schedule an appointment online or give us a call at 770-922-1480.