A Brief History of Conyers
Conyers is a city in Georgia that is in Rockdale County. In the 16th and 17th centuries, the Creek and Cherokee Nations shared a common border, the “Great Indian Road,” now known as Hightower Trail in northern Rockdale. The Great Indian Road served as a trail for white settlers in the early 1800s. The trail attracted many European immigrants, and Rockdale County was officially opened in settlers in 1816 and 1821.
The first known settler of Conyers was blacksmith John Holcomb, who built a log cabin where the County Courthouse now stands on Main Street. Holcomb eventually sold his land to Dr. W.D. Conyers for $700, and Conyers converted the land into a railway station. By 1854, 400 people had settled in the area and the area was incorporated into the town called Conyers. In 1870, Rockdale was officially established as a county. That decade, the population of Conyers soared to 1,800 and had forty stores, a fine hotel, good schools, one college, twelve lawyers and just as many doctors, and a large carriage manufacturer. One notable early Conyers resident was Carrie Chapman Catts, who was one of the leaders of the suffragette movement who worked to see the 19th Amendment become law. The main employer of early Conyers was Milstead Manufacturing Company, which provided 700 people with jobs. Fast forward a few decades, the Conyers community changed once again with the construction of Interstate 20 in the 1960s. New schools and other businesses drew many young families to Conyers.
Today, Conyers is home to over 16,000 people who enjoy many activities around the city, including going to the Georgia International Horse Park, the Cherokee Golf Club and visiting Olde Town Conyers.
Conyers is a popular place to film scenes for movies and television shows. The following productions were filmed in Conyers or Rockdale County:
- The Resident: A medical drama series that is on Fox. The show is in its third season and was nominated for two Teen Choice Awards.
- Stranger Things: A science-fiction, drama-horror series that is on Netflix. The show is on its fourth season and starts Winona Ryder, Millie Bobby Brown, Finn Wolfhard and more. The show was nominated for ten Emmy Awards and four Golden Globes as well as a Screen Actor’s Guild Award for the first-season cast.
- The Vampire Diaries: A supernatural teen drama series which was broadcast on the CW. The show ran for eight seasons and has been nominated for many Teen Choice Awards and People’s Choice Awards.
- Joyful Noise: A musical comedy-drama film starring Keke Palmer, Dolly Parton, and Queen Latifah. The film made over $34 million and was released in 2012.
- Selma: A historical drama film that is based on the 1965 voting rights marches that occurred from Selma to Montgomery led by Martin Luther King Jr., John Lewis and others. The film was nominated for Best Picture at the 2014 Academy Awards and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.
Your Trusted Local Auto Repair Shop
Most Conyers residents rely on their cars to get them where they need to go. When their vehicles need repairs or scheduled maintenance, they come to Auto Tech Service Center in Conyers. Our technicians have decades of combined experience and receive ongoing training on all things automotive repair. Here are some reasons you should choose us:
- We employ ASE-certified technicians in all areas of work performed.
- We exercise reasonable care for the customer’s property while it is in the shop’s possession.
- We provide a system for fair settlement of customer complaints, should they occur.
- We maintain the highest standards of the automotive service profession.
If you are a Conyers resident, feel free to come to Auto Tech Service Center! You can schedule an appointment with us online or call us at 770-922-1480.